Unhappy With Your Personal Injury Solicitor?

If you are unhappy with the way your personal injury claim is being handled, you have the right to transfer your case to another personal injury solicitor.

It is a common misunderstanding that a person cannot change injury solicitors, or that it will be difficult or that it will cost. This is not the case. We regularly have cases transferred to us and commonly take over many claims started by other firms.

The most common reasons that people transfer their cases to us to take over include:

  • Concern over the experience of their solicitor and/or the firm
  • Poor levels of service and communication
  • Lack of focus on the injured person’s needs and wellbeing


Transferring your claim FAQs

  • I have an ongoing claim with another firm, what can I do if I am unhappy with my solicitor?

    If your claim is ongoing and you’re unhappy with the service that is being provided by your current solicitor, you are under no obligation to remain with them. You can transfer your claim to another solicitor if you wish at no cost. Contact Freeclaim Solicitors today to get a second opinion and to transfer your case. Our helpline is available 24 hours a day on 0800 612 7340.

  • Is it difficult to transfer my claim to another firm?

    Absolutely not. Once you have found the right solicitor for you and they have agreed to take on your claim, all you will need to do is sign a form of authority stating you are happy for the file to be transferred to them. Your new solicitor will deal with the transfer for you and arrange for your papers to be sent over to them.

  • How much will it cost to transfer my claim?

    It should not cost you anything to transfer your claim. We provide a free consultation to review your claim and will advise you on what to do next. If you decide to transfer your claim, your new solicitor will make an agreement to pay any outstanding charges on the file from the insurers once your claim has settled. All our cases are taken on a no win no fee basis, so there’s no financial risk to you. If your claim is unsuccessful you won’t have to pay us a penny.

  • I’m unhappy with the communication from my solicitor, is this enough to transfer my claim?

    Yes. If your solicitor is not keeping you up to date with progress, or you believe they are not working adequately on your claim, you can seek advice from another solicitor. The Solicitors Regulation Authority regulates solicitors in England and Wales, and they expect solicitors to respond to their clients quickly and efficiently. If this is not the case you can ask another solicitor to review your claim and get this transferred.

  • My solicitor is pushing me to settle my claim, but I don’t agree with the settlement figure

    There are many things which need to be taken into account when valuing a claim. These can range from the amount you will receive in compensation for the injury itself, to the amount lost in earnings and the cost of any specialist support and treatment you may need now and in the future. Your solicitor should address all of these things and fight for the maximum amount of compensation available to you. If you feel your solicitor has not given full consideration to all aspects of your claim, one of our solicitors can review your claim for you and provide advice. If we believe your claim has been mishandled and undervalued, we can take over conduct of your claim and fully investigate this. Our specialist personal injury solicitors will be able to talk you through the figure and decide if this is a fair settlement or not.

  • My solicitor has missed my limitation date, what can I do now?

    If your solicitor has missed your limitation date, or made any other mistake with your claim, they have a duty to inform you of this. If this is the case you should get independent legal advice. In the event that a limitation date has been missed, we can request a transfer of your claim and attempt to continue proceedings on your behalf. If this cannot be done, we can file a professional negligence claim against the solicitor who was handling your claim. This would enable you to claim the compensation you would have received had they not missed the limitation date.


Transferring your claim to Freeclaim personal injury solicitors

If you answer yes to any of the questions below, contact Freeclaim Solicitors for advice on changing your solicitor, or to receive independent legal advice about your personal injury claim.

  • Are you unhappy with how your compensation claim is proceeding?
  • Do you believe you have received poor service from your solicitor?
  • Are you unhappy with the advice you have been given over the prospects of your claim, or the likely value?
  • Are you unhappy with the advice you have been given about making or accepting an offer in settlement of your case (or upon an apportionment of liability/contributory negligence)?
  • Do you feel that your personal injury solicitor does not listen to you, or that you have no control or say in the running of your claim?
  • Do you feel your claim is being handled by a large “claims factory”?

Freeclaim personal injury solicitors can also help you if you have been advised that your claim is being transferred to another company.

  • Have you been told that your case is being transferred to another firm? This may be because the personal injury department or firm is closing down completely, or has been bought out (amalgamated) with another company. Remember you have the freedom to choose the firm of solicitors that you would like to carry on with the conduct of your case. You do not have to stay with the new firm or company that has been recommended.
  • Are you unhappy with the way in which your case has been dealt with by the previous firm and therefore have no confidence in the firm they recommend to take over the conduct of your case?
  • Have you received a letter from the Law Society, Solicitors Regulation Authority or an Administrator advising you that your solicitors are being wound up? Again in this situation, you do not have to agree with your case being transferred to the new proposed solicitors. You have the freedom of choice to contact any new solicitors of your choosing.
  • Do you feel that your case is being transferred from pillar to post and would like another firm of solicitors to independently review your case and take over conduct?


For further advice about transferring your injury claim

At Freeclaim Solicitors, we have an excellent track record of taking over and settling claims that other solicitors have rejected or turned down or where clients have been unhappy with the way their claim is continuing. We can guide you through the process of your claim, ensuring you are kept updated and fully informed throughout. As an independent firm of solicitors with over 30 years’ experience, you can be assured that we only act in your best interests.

If you would like no obligation advice on transferring your personal injury claim to Freeclaim Solicitors, please call 0800 612 7340 today to speak to one of our specialist personal injury solicitors. Alternatively, you can fill in our online enquiry form and we’ll call you back.