An uninsured and unlicensed driver has caused life changing injuries to a two year old boy, in a road traffic accident that can only be described as tragic. John James Michalowski, 2, was left paralysed from the chest down and will never again be able to walk. He will need extensive rehabilitation and will most likely spend the rest of his life wheelchair bound.
Unfortunately these accidents can happen all too often and many cause serious injuries. The police believe that uninsured drivers are also 10x more likely to be under the influence of alcohol, and 3x more likely to be convicted of driving without due care and attention. Where the driver at fault is uninsured, an accident can become even more distressing. Therefore, Freeclaim Solicitors have put together a useful overview on what to do if you suffer injury after a road accident where the other driver is uninsured.
- If you’re involved in a road accident, do not assume the other driver is insured.
- If anyone is injured, ensure an ambulance is called or the appropriate medical help is sought.
- Take full details from the other driver and also check to any ID they may have on them. Ensure you record make, model, reg number, colour and condition of their vehicle.
- Obtain witness statements where possible.
- Make notes – scene, date, time, exact location, weather and traffic conditions, any road markings, estimated speed of all drivers, number of passengers (and their details), any vheicl damage etc.
- Take as many photos as possible.
- Inform the police of the accident as soon as possible (or within 24 hours) if anyone has been injured and take your own insurance documents to the police station.
- Speak to a solicitor experienced in road accidents who will be able to check on the driver’s insurance status.
- Ensure your solicitor has specialist experience in injury claims against uninsured drivers as these types of claims can be more complex. They are often called “MIB” claims as the claim will be processed through the “MIB” or Motor Insurer’s Bureau, which was created to help compensate victims of accidents involving uninsured or untraced drivers.
- Once your compensation claim has been successfully settled, ensure your own insurer reinstates any no-claim discount.
Fortunately, the road accident solicitors at Freeclaim specialise in helping victims of road traffic accidents claim compensation, including in instances where the driver at fault is uninsured.
Emma Greenhalgh, Head of the Road Accident Department comments further on claims against uninsured drivers, “We frequently deal with the aftermath of accidents caused by uninsured drivers and are left to pick up the pieces and fight for the right of injured parties to get the recompense they rightly deserve. We understand the concerns of law-abiding, fully-insured motorists and would always recommend that you speak to a specialist solicitor as soon as possible after the accident.”
If you have been injured in a road traffic accident Freeclaim Solicitors can help with uninsured drivers’ claims and many other types of road accident compensation. To ensure you get the legal expertise you need and the maximum amount of compensation possible, contact Freeclaim Solicitors today on 0800 612 7340.