There has been a decrease in the number of road accidents reported in Greater Manchester in 2013 compared to 2012. Recent statistics from the Department of Transport have shown that the number of people injured on our roads is decreasing year on year. Across the region there was a 10% decrease in the number of casualties as a result of road traffic accidents. This means that there were 614 less road accidents in 2013 compared to 2012. Fatal injuries have also decreased by nearly 29%. There were 14 less fatal accidents in 2013.
The chief executive of Transport for Greater Manchester commented; “The reduction in the number of people involved in collisions on Greater Manchester’s roads is fantastic news, but there is still work to be done. In my view, any casualty is one too many, so we will continue to be vigilant by working with local authorities and key partners to keep everyone on our roads safe and ensure this positive trend continues”.
Our roads could always be made safer by drivers, cyclists and pedestrians taking extra care.
Drivers in a car should:
• Keep plenty of distance between you and the car in front
• Check all your lights are in full working order
• Always keep an eye out for motorbikes and cyclists at junctions and roundabouts
• Take extra care around schools and care homes in case of pedestrians
• Never use a mobile phone and keep distractions to a minimum
• Never pass large vehicles on the inside
• Always wear protective equipment and ensure you are visible at night
• Take extra care at junctions and roundabouts as this is where most cyclist accidents happen
• Look in both directions before stepping out into the road
• Avoid crossing the road between parked cars, it makes you harder to see
• Do not use distractions such as mobile phones when crossing a road
Although road accidents in Greater Manchester are declining, it is vital that all road users remain vigilant about road safety.
Accidents do however, inevitably happen. If you have been involved in an accident on the road and you have sustained an injury, we can help you claim accident compensation. Whether you have been involved in a car crash, an accident on a bus or in a taxi, as a cyclist or as a pedestrian, Freeclaim Solicitors has the expertise to help you. To speak to one of our specialist road accident compensation solicitors, call 0800 612 7340, for free, no obligation advice.
Freeclaim Solicitors. Specialists in Road Accidents Compensation.
Published: 16th June 2014