Many people going on holiday will be planning to drive whilst they are abroad. Whether this is to get to your destination, or if it is hiring a car whilst you are away, there a several ways in which you can better protect yourself from the risk of having a road traffic accident abroad.
Almost 75% of British people who are planning to drive abroad are worried about the prospects, with confusing road signs, driving habits and having the correct equipment in your car being some of the highest worries.
If you plan to drive a car whilst you are abroad you should always:
- Familiarise yourself with the laws and traffic signs and signals of that country – these may differ quite a lot from the UK so it is always best to double check and make sure you know exactly what to do and where to go.
- If you are hiring a car, fully check the car over and familiarise yourself with the controls before you drive away – always make sure you are given full instructions for the vehicle, including such things as knowing where your lights are, and what to do if you have an accident.
- Make sure you have adequate insurance in case an accident occurs – insurance is vital to protect you from costs associated with damage to the vehicle.
- If you are involved in an accident, make sure you call the police and inform insurers and the car rental company immediately. Take details of the other driver and any witnesses. Also take photos where possible.
- If anyone is injured in an accident, ensure they receive medical attention quickly.
- It goes without saying that you should never drink and drive or be under the influence of drugs, whether driving in the UK or abroad.
Freeclaim Solicitors are specialist personal injury solicitors who are experienced in dealing with road traffic accidents abroad. Due to the complex nature of these claims, it is important you speak to someone who has the experience of dealing with these types of claims. We have specialist solicitors who have helped many clients claim the compensation they deserve following a road traffic accident abroad.
If you have been involved in a road traffic accident whilst away on holiday, either in the UK or abroad, speak to one of our expert solicitors today about claiming accident compensation. Our helpline is open 24 hours a day on 0800 612 7340. Or you can fill in our online enquiry form, and one of our dedicate team will call you back.