If you have been involved in a hit and run accident where the driver of the vehicle cannot be traced, you may think that you cannot claim compensation. However, this isn’t the case. The Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB) was set up to provide a fund out of which compensation could be paid to the victims of road traffic accidents caused by drivers who cannot be traced.

If you have been injured in a hit and run accident, it is really important to report the accident to the Police as soon as possible (for MIB hit and run claims this must be within 14 days or as soon as is reasonable).

All claims which are made through the MIB will follow the same path, depending on your individual case. At Freeclaim Solicitors we have specialists who can help with hit and run claims and help you claim compensation. Our solicitors will help with the MIB process and take the stress out of making a claim.

  • Step One – completing a claim form. We will complete this on your behalf from the information you have provided to us.
  • Step Two – the MIB will acknowledge receipt of the claim form. They will fully investigate your claim by obtaining any details from the police as well as any witnesses to the accident. They will also interview you and prepare a statement for you to review.
  • Step Three – the MIB will either accept or reject your claim. If your claim is accepted, the MIB will arrange a medical examination for you. The report from this examination will be sent to the MIB and ourselves. We will then advise you on the content of this report. If your claim is rejected the MIB will give you details on why they have rejected your request, as well as details on how to appeal. We can deal with this appeal on your behalf and advise you on the likelihood of succeeding with your claim.
  • Step Four – the MIB offer. If you are successful, the MIB will make an offer or compensation. We will advise you on the offer and negotiate the best settlement on your behalf.

The amount of damages awarded to you will depend on the severity of your injuries and how long it has taken or how long it will take for you to recover from your injuries. The MIB can reduce the amount of compensation you receive if they believe you were partly to blame for your injuries (e.g. you were not wearing a seatbelt, you were careless when crossing the road, etc.).

A claim to the MIB should be submitted as soon as possible, but must be within three years of the accident.

Claiming compensation after a hit and run accident

At Freeclaim Solicitors, we have the specialist knowledge to help deal with your claim after a hit and run accident. We have over 30 years’ experience in personal injury compensation and can help you claim the compensation you deserve and ensure that you get access to early treatment and support so you can recover more quickly.

Speak to us today to start your claim against an untraced driver. Our free helpline is open 24 hours a day on 0800 612 7340. All enquiries are free with no obligation.