More and more Brits are taking to the roads whilst they are away on holiday. Whether it’s driving to your destination from the UK and making a trip of it along the way, or hiring a car once you get there, it is important to know what to do if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident.
Here is some useful information you should try to gather if you are involved in a road traffic accident abroad:
- Get the other party’s full name and contact details.
- Find out who owns the other vehicle – whether it belongs to the driver or is owned by someone else.
- Ask who the driver’s insurance providers are and contact details for them.
- Take down the registration number of the vehicle.
- Find out which country the vehicle is registered in.
- Write down the vehicle make and model.
- Carefully record the details of what happened in the accident.
- Accurately write down where and when the accident occurred.
- Take any contact details of witnesses of the accident.
You should also report the accident to the local police and get a contact number and reference from them. Make sure you take photographs of the accident and the damage caused to the vehicles.
You can also fill in a European Accident Statement Form. This form is available in a variety of languages so all parties can complete the form with full understanding. It is advised to print a copy of this form and take it away with you just in case you are involved in an accident.
If you have been involved in a road traffic accident abroad, we may be able to help you to claim compensation for the pain and suffering you have faced. At Freeclaim Solicitors we have expert solicitors who have over 30 years’ experience in dealing with road traffic accidents abroad. The law surrounding accidents abroad can be complex, so it is important you can trust your solicitor to handle your claim correctly.
Call us FREE today on 0800 612 7340 to find out how we could help you. You can call us 24 hours a day and all enquiries are free with no obligation. What’s more, all our road traffic accident abroad claims are taken on a no win no fee basis, so there is no financial risk to you. Or you can fill in our simple online enquiry form and one of our dedicated members of staff will call you back to discuss your claim.