Many people this summer will jet off on holiday without a second thought about travel insurance. But why is it so important to take out a policy before you travel?

If you are unfortunate enough to be injured in an accident abroad or you become ill whilst on holiday, the last thing you need is to be hit with expensive medical bills you cannot afford. But travel insurance does not only cover you in case you need medical care, it also covers you for cancellation costs should you be unable to travel due to ill health or a death in the family, as well as lost or stolen belongings whilst away. It is important to take out this cover so that you have peace of mind no matter what happens.

Many people believe that if they’re only travelling to a country in Europe, then their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will cover them should they require medical care whilst abroad. However, healthcare abroad can be extremely expensive and can soon mount up. An EHIC card will only cover some medical bills and holiday makers can easily be left with expensive bills for treatment, with no medical cover in place. Also, evacuation back home is not covered by an EHIC card should you need to travel home due to your accident or illness.

When taking out travel insurance to cover accidents abroad you should:

Think about the cover you need – some basic insurance policies will not cover all activities you may wish to undertake (e.g. skiing, snowboarding, hiking and trekking), so consider what it is you are planning to do and check exactly what is covered.

Check what cover you already have – some reward current bank accounts may already cover both European and Worldwide travel insurance. Speak with your bank to check if you’re covered and exactly what you are covered for.

Check for medical exclusions and age limits – many insurance companies do not extend cover to elderly people, or will vastly increase premiums for people who are aged over 65 or 70 years old. Also, check whether a policy will cover you for pre-existing medical conditions. You should inform insurers of any conditions you have before taking out the policy to ensure you are covered.

Look at how much the excess is on the policy – excess charges can vary greatly from policy to policy. If you need to claim on your insurance after an accident or illness abroad, you do not want to be handing over a fortune in excess charges. Usually the higher the excess, the cheaper the policy, so keep an eye out for this.

Consider whether you are going on more than one trip – often travel insurance companies will offer annual cover for a set price. These policies will cover you for every trip you take, so if you’re going away more than twice in a year it can be cheaper to buy an annual policy than to take out individual policies for each trip. If your circumstances change within the year, it is important you inform your insurance company.

At Freeclaim Solicitors we are expert holiday accident compensation solicitors. We advise you to take out travel insurance to cover you in any eventuality, no matter where you are travelling to. If you have been involved in an accident you need to concentrate on recovering from your injuries, and not be worrying about how much the medical care you are receiving may be costing.

If you, or a loved one, have been injured in an accident abroad speak to one of our specialist solicitors about claiming holiday accident compensation. Our compassionate solicitors are here to help you every step of the way and will fight tirelessly for the maximum amount of compensation available to you.

Call our 24 hour helpline today on 0800 612 7340 to start your holiday accident compensation claim. Or fill in our online enquiry form and one of our dedicated team will be in contact with you shortly.