Before taking the plunge and going under the knife for cosmetic surgery, you should always be absolutely certain the procedure is right for you and that all safety aspects are considered beforehand. Undergoing life changing surgery can be a huge step and making sure everything is absolutely right is a must.
- Make sure you do your research. Do full checks on the doctor who will be carrying out the surgery. They should be on the General Medical Council’s List of Registered Medical Practitioners. You should also research whether they have any specialist areas and ensure your doctor has a specific specialism in your particular cosmetic surgery.
- Make a list of any questions you may have as you think of them. It can be difficult to remember them when you’re in a face to face meeting with your surgeon. Don’t be afraid to ask anything, however big or small, as you need to be fully informed before you make the decision to have any cosmetic surgery.
- Ensure the standards of the hospital or clinic are to a high level. They should be registered with the Care Quality Commission and associated with the Royal College of Surgeons to show high standards of practice.
- Always consider the bigger picture. Ensure you consider the surgery fully before taking the plunge, thinking not only about the surgery itself and the aftercare but also about the change it will have on your life. Never go through with cosmetic surgery unless you are 100% certain about your decision.
- Make sure your surgeon has full insurance. This is extremely important to cover not only the surgeon but your own safety to ensure there is an option for claiming compensation should something go wrong.
The General Medical Council have released new guidance in the last year to better protect people who are undergoing plastic surgery and further regulate surgeons in a crackdown on rogue surgeons offering dangerous procedures. You can read about these changes in our infographic here.
If you have chosen to have private cosmetic surgery and something does go wrong, you may be able to claim compensation. At Freeclaim Solicitors we have expert personal injury solicitors who can help you with your private cosmetic surgery compensation claim.
A claim for compensation could compensate you for the pain and suffering you have sustained as a result of the cosmetic surgery, financial loss and the cost of private corrective surgery should this be necessary.
Freeclaim solicitors are here for you every step of the way to provide you with the full support you need. Speak to our dedicated team today by calling us 24 hours a day on 0800 612 7340. All enquiries are completely free with no obligation and all our private cosmetic surgery claims are taken on a no win, no fee basis, so there is no financial risk to you.